For gamers, having plenty of RAM means that the computer they are using will function much more efficiently under high-intensity applications such as their most demanding games. Adding extra RAM to a gaming PC or laptop will provide faster speeds, the ability to over clock those speeds, a more effective heat spreader to keep things cool and can, in some cases, decrease the amount of power being used. Gaming RAMs can also help to improve general bandwidth for internet browsing and gaming alike. I have taken it upon myself to try out a few of the best gaming RAMs in my opinion in order to help you decide which is best for you before purchasing one.
|RAM Kits||Key Features||Rating||Price|
|Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB||Best RAM for gaming, Automatic over clocking, Compatible with all popular brands of motherboards, Inexpensive, Plug and play capability, Unique, asymmetrical heat spreader||Check Price|
|Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB||Compact RAM allows for more modules to be inserted into the PC, Efficient and reliable aluminum heat spreader, Industry standard specs, Short installation time||Check Price|
|Ballistix Sport LT 16GB||Incredible speeds and responsiveness, Plug and play capabilities, Starting speed of 2400 MT/s, Stylish heat spreader available in camo red, gray and white||Check Price|
|G.Skill 8GB||Effective heat spreader that utilizes a lot of surface area, Fast, efficient timing, Powerful 1.5 voltage rating, Seriously low latency, Unique design||Check Price|
|Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB||Ability to use automatic over clocking to save time, Available in a number of striking colors, Compatibility with all X99 motherboards, Intense over clocking capabilities, Lower power usage||Check Price|
Best RAM For Gaming
Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory
Top Features of the Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory
Plug and Play
One of the best things about trying the Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory for myself was the fact that I essentially had to do nothing in order to make it work. Once I had taken it out of the packaging that it came in, I simply inserted it directly onto the motherboard of my desktop PC and it installed the RAM right away. After only a few minutes of the installation process, I was able to fire up my favorite games and begin playing immediately. I tested it on a number of games that tend to use a lot of space to play, and they were all excellent in terms of performance and clarity. I think that the Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory is definitely the best RAM for gaming in terms of accessibility and convenience. This brand definitely meant it when they claimed that this RAM had “plug and play” functionality!
Automatic over Clocking
Often times when installing a new RAM for my gaming computer, I have to go in and manually tinker with the BIOS in order to get everything to run more swiftly. Not with this RAM. The Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory comes with a unique feature that allows for automatic over clocking, making it simpler than ever before to play my games how I believe that they were meant to be played. I was able to reach much higher capacities and incredibly faster speeds through this RAM without ever once having to mess with any settings. This is one of the more efficient RAM for gaming that I think that I have ever used because of this over clocking feature and because of its effortless installation.
I want to take a moment to point out the price of the Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory. Usually, if I want something that is going to seriously increase my performance, I am looking at ultra expensive RAMs and find myself unsure if I want to pay that sort of a price. With this memory system, I am getting the ultimate combination of both DDR4 performance and pricing. I feel like I can keep up with everyone else who I game with now without having to upgrade my entire system just to be in the same league.
Unique Heat Spreader
When over clocking a RAM, dispersing that extra heat that is generated is a must, even if I do have several fans in my PC to help stop things from overheating. Because I do not want to risk any sort of overheating whatsoever, it is important to me that the RAM I use comes with a heat spreader. The Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory comes with an asymmetrical FURY heat spreader that does an excellent job of taking care of the heat. It is low profile and meshes in excellently with the rest of the unit and has matching PCB.
Works with All Brands of Motherboards
Finally, I want to touch on the point that the Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory is intended to be used on all brands of popular motherboards, so there shouldn’t be any issues there. It worked on both mine and my friend’s that I used to test it out for sake of consistency and we own different systems.
- Automatic over clocking
- Compatible with all popular brands of motherboards
- Plug and play capability
- Unique, asymmetrical heat spreader
- Compatibility. Though I mentioned this RAM was compatible with most motherboards, some reports online say it was not for theirs. If your motherboard is not one that is made from a popular brand you might want to look into this, but it should work almost universally.
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module
Top Features of the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module
Designed for Serious Gamers
Because I do spend much of my time off at my gaming desktop, I need something that can keep up with the strain that I put on my computer. The Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module was clearly designed for those of us who spend a lot of time at the computer or play high intensity games that require a lot of memory. From the moment I installed the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module, it ran with no errors whatsoever and has not had a single error to this day. I never have to worry about it tripping up or crashing my computer and it does not ever get hot, which leads me to my next point.
Efficient Heat Spreader
The Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module features a heat spreader that is made out of durable, high quality aluminum. I was not sure how I would feel about such a standard heat spreader but it really has outperformed some of the others that I have used. I have never had to stop in the middle of a game due to overheating and this heat spreader, in combination with the fans that I have installed on the case of my computer, ensures that I will never have to concern myself with overheating again.
Industry Standard Specifications
I think that the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module is definitely the best RAM for gaming in terms of how accurately the company created this product to mirror the specs found in some of the best gaming computers out there. Clearly, they know what it takes to outperform the competition and it shows. To make sure that my computer stands up to the test and can compete with better machines out there, I appreciate the industry standards that the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module aligns with. I would also like to mention that this ram is nice and compact, leaving plenty of room for additional coolers and other modules that I once was not able to fit into my case due to space, and I think that this makes it the best RAM for gaming in terms of efficiency because of it.
Faster Speeds in an Instant
Setting up the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module was a breeze. I inserted it onto my motherboard and set it to install. It did so rather quickly and with flying colors. This memory tested out with no errors at all and my testing software tells me that it is giving my system every bit of its rated throughput. Every game that I have tested it on has worked excellently and at blazing fast speeds. No more excessive waiting for the boot up. The Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module really impressed me overall.
- Compact RAM allows for more modules to be inserted into the PC
- Efficient and reliable aluminum heat spreader
- Industry standard specs
- Short installation time
- Tests out excellently
- Price. The Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) 1600 MHz UDIMM Memory Module is certainly on the higher end of RAM for gaming. While I would not go so far as to call it expensive, it does cost more than a few of the other models that I have tried for this review and in general. That said, for its compact size, its fantastic function, high speeds, quick installation and top of the line specs, I would say it is definitely worth its salt in terms of its price point. If you need a high-powered RAM for gaming that does not take up too much space and looks great in your system, do not let the price deter you from this awesome investment.
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit
Top Features of the Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit
Blazing Fast Speeds
If you are anything like me and like to play games that use a lot of RAM to run beautifully, I think you will be happy with the Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit. The Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit has speeds that start at 2400 MT/s which is an incredibly fast and responsive rate of transfer. I have not seen many RAMs for gaming that offer such high speeds from the start. I have noticed that this particular memory works even better than standard DDR4 memory in terms of responsiveness and I have yet to worry about it overheating. The speeds are reached immediately and, from the moment I installed this RAM, I have yet to get a blue screen and it tested out perfectly, letting me know that these claims are certainly true. It lets even my most demanding of games run with ease, and with increased bandwidth and better latencies, I am definitely given a competitive edge.
Perfect for Those Who Need High Performance
The Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit was a plug and play installation for me. There was no intense set up process or even having to tweak anything in the BIOS. That was a great start for me. After having it installed I ran some of my most intensive games to put it to the ultimate test and it out-shined all of my expectations of this memory. My games are faster, my ping is higher, and I definitely feel like the Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit has given me a leg up competitively speaking. My machine runs smoothly and without a hiccup–it does not even get warm.
Maximizes the Rate of Data
Due to its quad-channel composition, the Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit delivers even more bandwidth than I could dream of. I don’t tie up the internet anymore playing demanding MMOs. I also do not have to worry about slowness at all. The Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit has really impressed me with its incredible start up speeds, and the data rates that I am receiving with this memory are driving me to think that I am getting way more RAM than I bargained for in the best possible way.
Finally, I want to briefly touch upon the fashionable nature of the Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit. For gamers like me who enjoy building computers that not only run excellently but are visually pleasing as well, the Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit is a dream. It has a super effective heat spreader that is stylish on its own. Then, add in the option of being able to choose from a crisp white, a stark gray and a vibrant red and I have all of the options I need to make sure that the inside of my PC is as beautiful as the way that it runs. I think this also allows me to rank it as the best RAM for gaming in terms of style choices and aesthetics.
- Incredible speeds and responsiveness
- Plug and play capabilities
- Starting speed of 2400 MT/s
- Stylish heat spreader available in camo red, gray and white
- Tests out with no errors
- Price. Although the Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit is definitely the most expensive RAM for gaming that I have tested as of yet, I do not mind the price because I have never seen a quad-RAM that offers such impeccable speeds as the Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit. 2400 MT/s is wonderful and the acceleration of my bandwidth is top notch. The low latencies I receive are unlike any other, so I really believe that I would buy the Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit over and over again. Plus, having the ability to pick out my own color of RAM in order to go along with the rest of the motif of my computer is just excellent and a huge perk that comes along with this powerful memory unit.
G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit
Top Features of the G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit
Effective Heat Spreading
One of the most important things about gaming RAMs is the ability that it holds to disperse heat. The G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit has a comb-like heat spreader that effectively moves the heat where it needs to go in order to prevent overheating by exposing it to cool air over a much larger surface area than usual.
The timing rating of 9-9-9-24-2N on the G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit was impressive. It gave me fantastic transfer rates and a great ability for over clocking. Looking at this sleek and stylish RAM, I did not imagine that my computer could run the way it does, but I have been proven wrong. The performance of this RAM is excellent and has tested out with flying colors. Besides, it looks great in my red and black PC build, which is always a plus.
The G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit has an excellent storage capacity that lets me play all of my favorite games until I am “blue in the face.” This memory has an 8 gigabyte capacity that is made possible by its perfectly aligned, two 4 gigabyte sections. Installing this high capacity RAM for gaming was simple and took no time at all. It also has a great timing rating of 9-9-9-24-2n which I found to be impressive. I fired the G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit up immediately and ran it through some testing to see what could be done, and the results can be found below
The G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit has a Cas Latency9 that comes standard as its starting point. I then decided to drop down the latency as far as I could manage which put me at a point of CL5-5-5-15. The G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit couldn’t boot that low, so I bumped it up to CL6-6-6-18 and it worked excellently. The MHz status was at 1333 at this point and the voltage allowed me to push it to an even more respectable 1460 MHz without the need to alter any settings. I could overclock at a maximum of 1540 MHz. Thanks to the 1.5 voltage rating that I will touch on in a second, I was able to push it as far as an impressive 1680 MHz.
When I first got the G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit, I took the time to test out the voltage and had it started on the standard 1600 MHz CL9 with 1.5 volts and it worked absolutely flawlessly. I pushed the memory up to 1.5 volts 2050 MHz which was as far as I could make it go, though impressively, it could go further with the right system. The ability to use the voltage to increase it as far as 550 MHz is huge and impressive and I definitely think that the G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit is the best RAM for gaming in terms of power.
- 8 gigabyte (2, 4 gigabyte) capacity
- Effective heat spreader that utilizes a lot of surface area
- Fast, efficient timing
- Powerful 1.5 voltage rating
- Seriously low latency
- Unique design
- Heating. Some online reviews of the G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws Series Dual Channel Kit have stated that the memory gets a bit hot despite its unique heat spreading design. I have not had this happen to me personally, but I felt it was worth mentioning. I also have several fans installed in my PC’s case, so if you build your own PCs and have fans included, as you should and probably do, this will not pose a problem to you. I recommend this powerful RAM to anyone regardless.
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit
Top Features of the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit
Fantastic Overclocking Ability
One of the things that I was most pleased with upon installing the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit was the fact that it was clearly designed to give gamers like me high-performance, powerful overclocking. The eight layer PCB also helps by giving the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit plenty of head room for said overclocking. Highly screened ICs work in harmony with the heat spreader, which I will touch upon in a moment, to cool things down and give me a better environment for overclocking to take place. While pushing my DRAM frequency can be a fun thing to do, I sometimes just want to reach the maximum performance level of my gaming RAM as soon as possible. If you have an Intel X99-based motherboard like I do, you can support the XMP 2.0 which automatically adjusts to find the safest and fastest speed that gives incredible, reliable performance without locking up my computer or otherwise behaving strangely.
Low-Profile Heat Spreader
The Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit features a nice, low-profile design that provides plenty of room for that powerful over clocking I just talked about. As you know, the overclocking overhead is judged by the operating temperature, so by allowing the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit to pull heat away from the ICs and towards the cooling path of my system, I can push the over clock further than ever before. Not only that, but the heat spreader is made out of a pure aluminum, which allows for much swifter disbursement of the heat allowing me a cooler operation right away.
The heat spreader is not only incredibly efficient; it allows the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit to look incredible in my set up. I, like you, design my PCs based on performance, but I also want them to look great for the amount of time and money that I spend on them. It has a really small form that allows for a number of other modules to be placed into it while also delivering a unique look. The Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit is also available in a number of colors to match up with my random components, my motherboard or my case, depending on which one I choose.
The Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit gives me incredible performance levels. At once, I am able to reach higher frequencies, receive a higher bandwidth allocation while also generating less power consumption than some of the DDR3 models out there.
Compatible with Most Motherboards
Finally, it is worth noting that the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit is compatible with most X99 series motherboards so that you can purchase it knowing that it will give your computer the same fast, efficient performance that it has given mine.
- Ability to use automatic over clocking to save time
- Available in a number of striking colors
- Better bandwidth and frequencies
- Compact and beautiful
- Compatibility with all X99 motherboards
- Efficient and stylish aluminum heat spreader
- Intense over clocking capabilities
- Lower power usage
- Motherboard compatibility. While the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit works swimmingly with any X99 series motherboards, there are a few motherboards out there that will not work well or at all with this memory. It is important to do your research on this before purchasing it, but since X99 series motherboards are so common, I do not think that this is going to pose an issue for most gamers who might be reading.
I have chosen the Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit as the clear winner of this roundup for a number of reasons. Outside of its instant set up of plug-and-play, this RAM comes standard with automatic overclocking so that I do not have to spend time tinkering with it myself. The heat spreader has a unique design that disperses heat as beautifully as the physical component looks. It can run with all popular motherboard brands and is available at a great price. I recommend the Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit to anyone looking for a powerful and efficient RAM for gaming without breaking the bank.
Benefits of Buying a RAM for Gaming
– Over clocking. Pushing your gaming computer to the max gives you the most benefits in terms of latency and speed. By having these factors increased, you can get a competitive edge in your gaming matches by loading in first and having a smoother gameplay.
– Bandwidth. The right gaming RAM may also increase your bandwidth which is not only excellent when it comes to gaming, but it can improve your overall internet usage as well.
– Heat dispersion. RAMs come naturally with a heat spreader that helps to direct the heat of the RAM into the cooling path of your computer. When the computer is cooler, it runs more smoothly and provides more overhead room so that you can push the RAMs over clocking abilities to the max.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a RAM for Gaming
– Price. As with anything, you get what you pay for. Most RAMs for gaming are handsomely priced and will not break the bank; however, the more expensive options will often come with additional features and better heat spreaders which help to improve your computer’s overall function, making it worth the price tag.
– Motherboard compatibility. There are some RAMs out there that are virtually universally compatible, but it is important that you do the research to ensure that the RAM you are interested in for your gaming computer is going to fit neatly in with your existing motherboard.
– Aesthetics. Many of those who build their own PCs do so not only for performance but for the visual aspect of things as well. Look for one that completes the color scheme of your build, as many gaming RAMs come in a number of different hues for this exact reason. Don’t sacrifice performance for style when you do not have to.
Tips on How to Choose the Best RAM for Gaming for Your Needs
– Look at the heat spreader and see if it is effectively designed.
– Consider whether or not you want automatic over clocking or manual over clocking. Some prefer to tinker with the latter while others would rather not be bothered with it.
– Check gaming RAM reviews such as the detailed ones that I have compiled below to see the general consensus on the RAM that you might be interested in.